After the destruction of the Second World War, a new residential area was created in West Berlin: Between the Spree and the large Tiergarten as part of the International Building Exhibition in Berlin in 1957 (Interbau 1957 / or IBA 57). The Hansaviertel (Hansa Quarter). The Interbau 1957 exhibition of the completed buildings, which was open to the public for viewing, took place between 6 July and 29 September 1957. The buildings created were divided into groups and included high-rise apartment buildings, multi-family and single-family houses, churches, cultural and commercial buildings , as well as Interbau objects outside the Hansa Quarter such as the Kaiser-Friedrich Memorial Church, Congress Hall, Corbusier House, Berlin Pavilion.
Selected architects created their own style, which is still preserved today. The following streets were built: Altonaer Straße (Oscar Niemeyer and others), Bartningallee, Händelallee (Walter Gropius), Hansaplatz (Bruno Grimmek), Hanseatenweg, Klopstockstraße (Klaus Müller-Rehm and Pierre Vago as well as Alvar Aalto), Straße des 17. Juni with Berlin Pavilion (Hermann Fehling, Daniel Gogel and Peter Pfankuch).